Tuesday, February 07, 2006

feeling old. music?

Sometimes I find myself feeling old? Don't any of you get sick of people telling you how much more mature you are/look for your age? I know I do. And goodness knows i don't listen to much mainstream anymore. Although I do know what is new and stuff but somehow they don't quite appeal to me. Like songs on hitz.fm. I used to listen to it every single time when i got into the car and when I got my radio, it was the only station that was programmed.

But now, what is in mainstream is something i don't quite enjoy. And I'm listening to stuff like buble, ari hest, damien rice and alot of songs that aren't mainstream or were once. When i say were once meaning metallica, incubus, santana [although they still play his latest songs which I am very much thankful for] guns & roses and more of course.

See what i mean by feeling old? These peoples started performing 10-20 years ago... I listen to light and easy now. They play really nice songs.... and miss songs like "my happiness, don't look back in anger, bittersweet symphony" i dont know what you categorise that under but yea... those type of music I surely do miss.

Nowadays it makes me wonder. What in the world happened to good music? Music with lyrics that have meaning. Music with actual rhythm feeling and emotion. Music which you can enjoy and chill with.

But of course this is just my take on it. I know many people who can actually chill to rap and hip hop and whatever thats on mainstream and sung by lima puluh sen. [I swear he should never show his face. and NEVER EVER ACT!]

Anyway like i said. This is all me. No matter how many times vishal explains to me how he likes most of those songs i shall never understand. But I do like some of it though... those with more... rhythm? I'm not sure. But some of them just sound plain with the same background rhythm repeating itself again and again.

I guess it all comes down to how you listen to it. Vishal listens to music by listening to the lyrics first... whereas i listen more to the.... whatever-isn't-the-lyrics first and how that song makes me feel...

3 comments:

heroin_e said...

it's nostalgia, i'd call it. the nostalgia era. sort of like grainy bubble gum and blacknwhite films.

i can't stand hitz fm. their DJs try so hard to be funny and they fall flat on their faces before their arse. oh wait, it's the same thing...

and now i shall share some of my private collection of music, the innermostsanctum of music that's mine..because i like this post. maybe you'll like this stuff.

this guy's pretty new, but he's australian and laid-back -

Lior - This Old Love
- Sitting With A Stranger
Little Barrie - Free Salute
- Long Hair
Pedro The Lion - Beauty Queen
- Bad Things To Such Good People
Counting Crows - Round Here
Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
(These guys rock so retro cool.)

jazzy_naj said...

haha thanks flo. and thanks for commenting too.. because i have no idea if people actually read here but either way i don't quite care. =P

and you can try listening to Ari Hest.. i'm not too sure if you'll like his music but they're emo-ish. all about heartbreaks and love and what not but written and sung quite nicely.

try 'caught up in your love' and 'monsters'

Bon Iver said...

Hitz.Fm plays shitty music nowadays. In fact, the only reason I tune in is because.. of the occasional Santana! I looooooove his collab with Steve Tyler and Michelle Branch. Especially Steve Tyler.